Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Have You Ever Tried a Netie Pot?


So I went to the doctor today and have a particularly bad sinus infection. My nasal passages have been plugged up for quite some time now and I generally feel awful. Besides doping up on Tylenol, the nurse told me on Monday when I called to make the appointment not to take anything else until I could see the doctor.


I was getting desperate for some relief. A nurse friend of mine suggested trying a netie pot. It's like a tiny little watering can than you hold up to your nose and let the water drain through one nostril, circulate through your sinuses and then drain out the other nostril.
I tried it! It's really interesting. At first I felt like I was drowning. You look kind of stupid with your head cocked and a pot stuck in one of your nostrils. A just kept coming in to see what I was doing. (It sort of reminded me of a picture in one of A's books, No David, where mom tells David to keep his finger out of his nose.)
I did it once on Monday night. It took forever because my sinuses were so clogged up. But I'll tell you what, so much came out of my sinuses it was remarkable. I didn't think it did much as far has helping me feel better until I woke up on Tuesday and felt so much less congested. Tuesday was a really busy day and I didn't have a chance to do it again and today I'm feeling terrible. I don't know for sure if it has to do with the netie pot, but I'm willing to keep trying. Put that together with my antibiotics from my doctor and hopefully I'll be good as new in a few days.
I

8 comments:

Natalie said...

I saw a show where they demonstrated using one of those ~ We actually considered buying one because Samson has sinus problems quite a bit... Everyone I know who has used it, swears by it! I hope you start feeling better...

I stinketh not!! said...

Wow, great trick. Where did you find that little pot. BTW great bread tonight.

chellae said...

I found the netie pot at a CVS pharmacy. The pot plus 20 packets of saline solution cost $14.99.

zeeny said...

I saw Dr. Oz on Oprah demonstrate. When you run out of saline solution he says to just add a bit of salt to the water. I tried it with a measuring cup once because I was clogged. I think the netie pot would be better. I would ask to borrow yours but, okay, never mind...we don't share netie pots!!

Christine said...

Oooh, good to know. That sounds better then inhaling saline solution from a cup (like Zeeny suggested - that one I have tried, it's no fun.) I sure hope you feel better soon!

Kristen Wilde said...

Fascinating.
I'll share a remedy that my dad uses from time to time: He adds some vinegar to a pan of water, brings it to a boil, and inhales the steam.
I'm not sure which remedy sounds more pleasant. I'll just pass on the sinus congestion, if you please!

Amy Lynn said...

I come from a family of netie pot users. My sister-in-law uses one REGULARLY and swears it has not only eliminated colds and sinus problems but has also significantly lessened her allergy symptoms. We have a kid netie pot that we used with the kids last winter and it really helped. So netie on...hope you are feeling better.

Guinevere said...

Never heard of it...but it sounds like it really does the trick. I hope you're feeling better now.