Monday, March 24, 2008

The Pursuit of Happiness


Just a quick post about a movie we saw over the weekend that we loved. It is The Pursuit of Happiness staring Will Smith and his own son. It is the story of a young father who has real get up and go, but no money. His son's mother leaves them and he has the chance to take an internship at a stock brokerage firm in San Francisco, but without pay. If, he impresses the bosses, at the end of the internship he could get offered a job. He has twenty other interns with whom he is competing for one spot.
But the real story is how he fights so hard to take care of his son and provide for him. They sleep in subway stations, cheap motels, and mostly homeless shelters all for a chance to make it and create a better life for the family. It is a true story and the man about whom the story is was a consultant on everything. It is very true to his real experience.
We loved it and highly recommend it. The movie was rated PG-13, supposedly for language. However, we were surprised by how clean it it was. There is one scene at the very beginning where the five-year-old son reads some graffiti on a wall and asks if it is spelled correctly and I think that is the only reason it is rated PG-13. Go check it out. It will make you feel like you can do anything!

6 comments:

smlaw said...

We too loved this movie. I thought although there were parts that were sad, it was inpirational throughout. I loved that he gave up everything for the possibility of a better future for him and his son.

I stinketh not!! said...

This was a really good movie. I've been there. I had to sleep in my car and in someones garage when A was a little over a year old. ( my apt burned down) It's hard when life throws curve balls at you. But its how you hit them out of the park that wins the game in the end.

Christine said...

We saw it at "Reel Meals", an interesting experience. I'm glad you enjoyed it, we did too!

Natalie said...

We loved this movie too! It was one of those movies that totally made you want to work harder for your family, and the things you want out of life!

Guinevere said...

We rarely go to see movies; but if we do it's for the kiddos. I've heard great things about it though. We NEED to rent it!

Amy Lynn said...

I loved this movie as well! I thought it had a great message and I loved how it portrayed this amazing father! I may have to go rent it again...although it seems like I did a lot of sobbing through the middle of it.