Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Of Pie and Buttered Bread: Thirteen Weeks

Today I am officially 13 weeks pregnant! My due date is October 8, though I will have a scheduled c-section about a week before that. We are so excited for A to be a big brother and are so greatful to have been blessed to be able to get pregnant again.

So here are a few of the interesting things that have been a part of this first trimester. This pregnancy has been similar to and different from my pregnacy with A.

I'll start with the things that are the same:
  • Food aversions. I can't stand the smell or taste of most meat, especially chicken. Though the thought of a good cheese burger has crossed my mind several times, especially if I dont' have to see or smell it cooking. I can't eat veggies, though occassionally I can stand a carrot or a piece of celery. Very few things sound appetizing.
  • I'm sick all day--none of this morning sickness business; it's an all-day affair.
  • I'm tired. All the time. Tired (that's why I haven't updated my blog in quite a while)

There are a few differences, too:

  • I love pie and cake. I eat it every single day (really). I especially like strawberry ruhbarb pie. With A I couldn't eat sugar. In some forms and in large quantities, it still makes me queezy.
  • With A I ate a lot of pizza (several times a week). With this baby it's buttered bread. I eat it for breakfast and snacks, and sometimes lunch or dinner. Carbs seem to be the only thing that really settles my stomach.
  • I am able to take a nap every day. Before, I would try to sneek in a power nap for 15 minutes in my car on my lunch break. Now I can sleep for a solid hour or so while A takes a nap. This helps so much because...
  • I can't sleep. I remember this happening before, but not this early. I can't get comfortable as I try to train myself not to sleep on my back.
  • My clothes don't fit. It seems like I could fit into my clothes for a lot longer before. Though I have to admit it is probably because this is my second child and I bought a bunch of new clothes when I lost all that weight and they were very trim. I'm going to have to go buy an intermediate size pair of pants until maternity clothes actually fit.
  • I'm trying hard to exercise. I rarely did anything until I was in my third trimester with A. I get in a good, brisk walk and even an occassional run on my tredmill a few times a week. I'm hoping with warmer weather and less queeziness in the second trimester it will make that a little easier. It better help because I've been eating a whole lot o' pie!

Here's one quick funny thing that happened to me the other day. I was so sick and trying to get lunch ready. We have several children's small plastic plates from Ikea, each one a different color. When I opened the cupboard door to get out lunch plates, I saw the orange and lime-green plates stacked on top of each other. In that moment that I saw those colors together, a wave a nausea came over me and I thought I'd throw up right then. That was a first. Smells have always bothered me, pregnant or not. Foods are bad. But, come on, the sight of colored kids plates! I can't wait until this phase is over. It usually lasts into week 15 or so. Here's hoping it doesn't keep going like it does with some of my sisters!

I can't get our scanner to work so I can't get the ultra sound picture we have to post. I'll work on it. I'll have another appointment in a couple of weeks and hopefully be able to show off those pictures.

11 comments:

Christine said...

HOOOOORRRAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

I wish you could see me doing a little dance of joy in my living room for you. That is so, so, so exciting!!! I cannot tell you how happy I am for you. I hope the morning/ all day sickness is over soon! Congratulations!!!!!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations, that is wonderful news!

I stinketh not!! said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you. Congrats. You handled the ham on Easter well. I sure hope you have a girl. I'ts so much fun to dress them and do their hair. I pray that this pregancy will be healthy for you. congrats to you and J, and A.

Kristen Wilde said...

Congratulations, and best wishes with the pregnancy!! A piece of pie sounds really good right now - I'll have to add a few more ingredients to my shopping list this week. I can say it's in honor of you and your family, right?

Mark and Aupreille said...

Chellae,

That is such wonderful news!! Congrats! I hope the all day sickness leaves you quickly.

Aupreille

The Merrell Family said...

How exciting!!! Congratulations!!

zippy said...

Congrats! I hear you on the sickness during pregnancy--with this one, it had mostly been during the late afternoons, then it disappeared for a couple of weeks, but alas, it came back this week with a vengance and now it's an ALL DAY thing! Bleh! Hope you start feeling better soon.

leslie said...

hi I'm 13 weeks too! The colour-sickness is unbelievable... for me it's the urge to kill someone when I smell ciggie smoke. Yes - that angry!! But hope you are feeling better soon!

Guinevere said...

Congrats!!! How exciting. We're a bit partial to boys...do you think I could fedex some dinner to you this time around? Just think...you won't be moving anytime near your delivery! Whoo Hoo!! Feel better soon.

Ambrosia said...

WAHOO!!! I hope the morning sickness ends soon, pretty soon you'll be jogging while nibbling on that buttered bread. Congratulations!!

Amy Lynn said...

I've had strange aversions every pregnancy but never a "color combination" aversion! Isn't pregnancy both grand and bizarre? We are so, so, so excited for you! Have you found out what you are having yet? I just counted on my calendar and according to calculations, you are right around that magic time! Hope the morning sickness passes QUICKLY!