Friday, January 4, 2008

Making Bread


Yesterday afternoon I made bread. This is not uncommon at our house. Most of you have eaten my bread even. But with the craziness of the holidays, it has been several weeks since I've completely this weekly ritual of bread making. As my dough was finished in the mixer and I began to shape it into loaves, I felt the most remarkable sense of satisfaction with the world. I was connecting with the nurturing instinct inside of me, I guess. The dough was smooth and warm and rich with that soft smell of fresh ground wheat. I couldn't help but imagine what it must be like to be an artist molding and shaping an inanimate lump of clay or stone and breathing life into it. My bread is far less complicated and much less creative; but it is my craft, my art, my life-giving gift to my family.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Your wheat bread is so yummy ~ You should post the recipe on our food blog... unless, of course, it is a family secret!

zeeny said...

The thought of that being your craft is great! I think we should look at more of our "tasks" with this thought and we would take renewed comfort and pleasure in doing them.

Kristen Wilde said...

Yum, that looks like good bread! I enjoyed your last post, with all the pictures. Your little boy is so cute!!!

Amy Lynn said...

I can see now why tossing in my 2 loaves of pretend "wheat" bread at Wal-Mart just isn't doing it for me. I wouldn't even know how to begin making bread. What is the chance of getting the recipe? Or would that just make me feel guilty?? Sigh.

mj said...

i had forgotten about your wonderfully yummy bread. mmm.

do you have a recipe???

Guinevere said...

Your bread is legend! I've never had the opportunity to taste it but have heard all about it. I can almost smell it from here!