Sunday, September 21, 2008

One of My Heros


Yesterday I had the chance to meet one of my heroes.

Jane Clayson Johnson used to be the host of one of the nationally broadcast morning shows. She had a very distinguished career in broadcast journalism. However, when she met her husband, she decided to leave the work she had been doing to start a family. She received a lot of criticism from the industry. I met her two biological children yesterday and, I'll tell you what, I'd trade them any day for all the interviews with presidents of nations, celebrities, and anyone else news worthy.

Sister Johnson and her husband were in town from Boston for Brother Johnson's son's baptism. Brother Johnson is a convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and his own teenage son from a previous marriage lives in our ward and decided to be baptized. The son has been coming to church for many months and I've associated with him through my calling in the Young Women's program. But I don't think anyone in our ward knew who Sister Johnson was before yesterday. Oddly enough I had the thought yesterday morning that maybe this young man's dad was married to Jane Clayson and I secretly hoped I'd get to meet her at the baptism.

I first heard Sister Johnson speak at BYU shortly after her daughter was born. She gave a speech that I think startled a few young aspiring females in the audience. She basically said you can't have it all, meaning children, career, happy marriage, all at the same time. There are times and seasons of life. Make the most of what you have in the moment, but don't put off the most important.

She's written a fantastic book called I Am A Mother. It is inspiring. I read it at a time in my life when I needed some reassurance that my life could be complete within my stay-at-home-mom life. She is as kind and amiable in person as I would imagine after reading her book. Her son is about a week younger than mine and is just as cute!

Some may argue that the best kind of heroes are the people that you can observe day in and day out, someone close to you that you know. We live in a society that idolizes people for their sports prowess or their musical ability or their political power. While I'd never met this woman before, I feel a special connection to this woman who is a shining example of how to live your best life without compromising your best self. All said and done, it was just very, very cool!

And in her own words: "Never be afraid to aspire to be a mother."

7 comments:

Amy Lynn said...

I had the chance to do a phone interview with her about a year ago when her book was published (for the magazine) and it was amazing! I agree...she is every bit as wonderful and warm and down to earth in person as she comes across being in the media. I love the message she isn't afraid to share with women about what is really important and the validation she gives for doing all the many things we are guided to do in our lives. She is definitely one of my heroes too!

JeMM said...

I love this post! It is a wonderful thing to meet such an inspiring person! I love champions of motherhood! You are a wonderful Mother! A is a terrific kid!

mj said...

so, i was in the varsity theater for that speech (see: http://thelaytonfam.blogspot.com/2007/05/to-my-daughter.html )and it changed my life. it was kind of a turning point in my attitude. so fun that you got to meet her. she's always been a fav of mine. her book is fantastic. i seriously need to read it every month as just another reminder.

museumeg said...

I knew that was her yesterday! I almost asked her if anyone ever told her she looked like Jane Clayson. :) That would have been embarrassing! She's awesome!

K-Krew said...

I'm going to Time Out next month and she's one of the speakers. Now I'm really excited to go!

Christine said...

That is wonderful that you had that chance - I remember you telling me about her and about her book and how it had affected you. And now you've been able to meet her. What a sweet opportunity! We need more heroes like her.

zippy said...

What a neat experience--thanks for sharing! I LOVE her and throughouly enjoyed her book. : )