Thursday, January 22, 2009

Water Dripping from Everywhere

So, we have a leaky ceiling...in four different places! We have had so much snow and ice build up that that the bottom layer of ice closest to the roof started melting and getting under the shingles and running into the house and pooling up on the ceiling and finally came through. These are officially called ice dams. We've never had them before, so this is a new and crazy experience. Water dripping through one of the lights in the kitchen, water dripping in a spot in our office, water dripping between the walls of the laundry room, water dripping over A's bed. J accidentally put a hole through A's ceiling where the drywall was soaked and the insulation was also sopping wet.

We're doing everything we can to prevent heat from our house from escaping through the roof and cause more melting. Unfortunately there is not a whole lot we can do until the ice is completely gone (a/k/a when spring comes), even though I've been up there carefully chipping away what ice I can. Yesterday when we were saying family prayers, J asked Heavenly Father to heal our house.

We've spent everyday many hours a day for the last several days trying to deal with this. The insurance claims person will come this week and tell us what it will cost to clean, replace, and repair everything. For as overwhelming as it has been at times, I am not loosing sleep over it and know it will work out. We just keep working and trying to prevent more damage, clean up the exisiting mess and moving on. I'll post the great pictures when I have a few more minutes to catch my breath and upload them!

7 comments:

maryirene said...

wow. good luck. what a frustrating thing to have to deal with in the middle of the freezing cold winter. i hope you can find a solution sooner than spring. i hope God can heal your house too. how sweet. i love the way kids minds work.

mj said...

you always have the best attitude about things. such a good example. hope things turn out well and that you can survive until spring. :)

if you need a winter break, you're welcome here. it was 70 degrees all last week. it's raining now, but it'll change soon.

JeMM said...

When it rains is pours but in the house! I'm so sorry. What an adventure to look back on and laugh AFTER it's over and all fixed. I love the prayer sounds like my kind of prayer!

Lindsay said...

I've never heard of that before either--what a way to learn! If anybody is up to the challenge, it is you guys. We're cheering for you.

Tracie said...

oh man - that happened with our first house in Ohio - one day water just started pouring down the inside of the huge picture window in the front room - it was not fun! when we bought this house we were a little surprised to find no gutters, but the previous owners said that was to prevent ice dams and so far, we've been lucky. hope you can manage until spring and that the insurance company is cooperative

Guinevere said...

I'm so sorry! It sounds like you're trying to make the best of a yucky situation...way to go cute lady!!

Love and Logic is the course M & I took! We loved it. I think a book would be a great place to start. If I remember their seminars are pretty pricey...we took our class at the school my mom was working at. You might try the schools and see if they offer something along those lines. A lot of social workers use this program also. That would be anther idea to try. Let me know. Keep your chin up you amazing lady you!!!!!

Amy Lynn said...

It sounds like our downstairs bathroom. Half the wall is removed, pipes are exposed, patches everywhere, dry wall dust covering everything...and life goes on. I love your attitude. Hang in there! I always tell myself I'm grateful for all the "great" stories I have to share! (Bummer it is happening in winter though! Not loving the ice this year!)