Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday

I went out shopping this morning to work through my list of post-Thanksgiving sales. I found almost everything I was looking for and got some great deals.

We found ourselves at Home Depot looking for a birthday present for my sweet, do-it-yourself husband. We saw a train set almost as soon as we entered the store. We've been looking for a train to put under our Christmas tree. Of course A loved it. But even more than that, Daddy's eyes just lit up as he watched the train round the track. We didn't immediately pick up a train set to put in our cart. There were eight or so boxes and didn't think much of it.

After a half an hour of looking around the store for the other items we wanted and debating about how much we could really afford to spend, we went back to look for the train set. But to my dismay, they were all gone! My heart just sank as I watched my husband's countenace fall. Just then a woman walked by with a train set box in hand. It was one of the saddest moments for me in a long time. It's funny. It was just a little train set, one that we could probably find some place else at some later date. But I think Dad was just so excited to share something with Son that my husband's disappointment broke my heart. I'm so greatful for a husband who love his son so much and wants to provide special moments of love and sharing with him.

To put a happy ending to this story, I went and asked the customer service desk if they would sell me the display model and they said yes! It always helps to have my happy little two-year-old in the cart when I'm trying to convince a bunch of women to sell me something. So at the end of the day, we brought home the train. Dad and son immediately set it up in the living room when we arrived at home. A walked around for the rest of the afternoon saying, "Choo, choo. Train on, mom. Train on, please."

1 comment:

Christine said...

Sometimes it's just worth the purchase! I'm glad you got it - wish we could see it. And oh yeah, I was delighted to see your blog (we just got internet today). I'll think about those book suggestions.