Thursday, April 18, 2013

Finishing the Race

I am inspired this week to finish a race. A race that others started and didn't get to finish. Not of their own choice, but because of the choice of others. I was super motivated to run this week to honor those who didn't get to finish the Boston Marathon.

It also started me thinking about other races I have run that weren't quite so literal in pounding the pavement, but that were equally lengthy, just as challenging and sometimes feel unfinished. Tonight at my Weight Watchers meeting I told my members about some of my thoughts and encouraged them to finish their race. Stay the course. Many people walk through the door to my meetings with some sort of baggage or at least weight on their shoulders that they are working through. I think the greatest reward in the journey towards better health and wellness is the satisfaction of setting goals and achieveing them, knowing you can be the master of your fate AND shape. (As a note, when I realized I could actually change the shape of my  body through exercise, that seemed to open up a world of possibilities. What else could I change just through positive, small changes).

I hope I can echo the words of the New Testament Apostle, Paul, when he said "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." Timothy 4:7.

No comments: