Sunday, April 14, 2013

Write On! Hope On!

For anyone who's been paying attention, you've probably noticed that I've blogged more in the past week than I have in, oh, the last year almost! At the beginning of last week I decided that I would set a goal to write something every day. And I nearly did (minus Friday--we were busy finishing our taxes for date night; lame, I know). I made the goal because I have recognized that writing is one of the gifts God has given me and if I don't use it I'll loose it. I'm not entirely sure why this is my gift or what exactly I'm supposed to do with it. But I do know that trying to do something is far better than doing nothing. And it's been a while since I've done much of anything. So forgive the roughness of this past weeks' writing and the writing for the sake of writing posts. I'm just going to share one thought today.

One inspiring message from church today came in the form of a hymn. We sang "We Thank Thee, O God for a Prophet." It's sort of too bad that we often see this as a song about prophets (which are great). But the meaning of the message is about trusting Christ. The second verse goes:

"When dark couds of trouble hang o'er us And threaten our peace to destroy, There is hope smiling brightly before us, and we know that deliverance is nigh. We  doubt not the Lord nor his goodness. We're proved him in days that are past. The wicked who fight against Zion will surely be smitten at last."

So much threatens to destroy our peace in the world. But we know that the Lord will watch over us. We can hope on! And we can do this because we have seen how he has delt with us and others in the past, and we can trust that if he did it once, he will certainly do it again. Equally powerful for me was the thought that the greatest reward that comes from following the prophet of the Lord Jesus Christ is happiness. That is articulated in the last verse "they who reject this glad message will never such happiness know." Oh that I could give that happiness to all I love and know.

So a new week begins. I really love Mondays. It feels good to start fresh. Tomorrow's post is going to be an outline of some goals I have for the next few weeks. There. I've said it and I can't NOT do it.

No comments: